Hunting and Fishing licenses are issued by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Online licenses and permits are available at myfwc.com.
The Sarasota County Tax Collector, as an agent for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Fish Commission, offers most of the hunting and fishing licenses that are available. Some sporting goods stores and bait shops are also agents where you can purchase a license for an additional $.50 fee. Click here for a list of these locations.
For the purposes of hunting or fishing in Florida, a resident is defined as:
- Any person who has declared Florida as his or her only state of residence
- Any member of the United States Armed Forces who is stationed in Florida (includes spouse and dependent children residing in the household)
Acceptable proof of Florida residency:
- Florida Driver's License or ID Card
- Florida Military Orders (members of the United States military and their immediate family stationed here)
Alternate proof (may be used only by Florida residents who do not have a Florida Driver's License or ID Card):
- Current Florida Voter Information Card
- Declaration of Domicile (may be obtained from the office of the county Clerk)
- Florida Homestead Exemption (proof may be obtained from the office of the county Property Appraiser)
Children under 18 have two additional options for proving residency:
- Student ID Card (from a Florida school)
- Parent's Proof of Residency (child must be accompanied by the parent at the time of purchase)
Children under 13 purchasing a lifetime license have additional documentation requirements:
- Certified copy of child's birth certificate,
- Social Security Number, and
- Copy of the Florida Driver's License of one parent whose name appears on the birth certificate.