Sarasota County Tax Collector - Barbara Ford-Coates - Exceptional Staff Exceptional Service
warning.pngDue to an outage of the state's systems, we are unable to process driver's licenses/ID cards and vehicle registrations at this time. The state's online renewal system is also down. Technicians are working to repair the problem, and we will post updates here when available.
Renew License/Registration
How Are We Doing? Connect With Us! - Complete an Online Survey

Car/Truck/Trailer Overview

Title - Vehicles (cars, trucks, etc.) and utility/vessel trailers must have a Florida Title as proof of ownership. There are some exceptions: mopeds, motorized bicycles and trailers weighing less than 2,000 pounds do not require a title. Titles may be held in paper form or electronically in the database of the Florida DHSMV (Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles).

When you purchase a new vehicle, bring a vehicle into Florida, or purchase a vehicle from an individual, you must apply for a registration and title in your name. Fees apply for these transactions; contact us for more information. If you are considering purchasing a vehicle from an individual, before finalizing your purchase, you can check the vehicle's history. For $9.95, you can purchase a Title Check report containing the following:

  • Title Information: the current state of title & date of issue; previous titles reported by jurisdictions and odometer readings recorded when titles were issued
  • Brand History: if/when a title brand (labels such as “Junk” or “Flood”) has been applied by a state which may affect the value of a vehicle
  • Total Loss Data: if/when a vehicle was reported as a total loss by an insurance company; generally indicating the vehicle has suffered severe damage
  • Salvage Records: full salvage history including if/when the vehicle has been in possession of a salvage auction, auto parts recycler, rebuilder or other salvage-related business

Registration - Utility/vessel trailers and all vehicles (except motorized bicycles) must have a Florida registration which consists of a:

  • License plate (also know as tag) - displayed on the rear of the vehicle. (There are some exceptions for certain commercial vehicles.) The license plate is used for 10 years and a new decal attached when renewed annually (once a year) or biennially (once every two years).
  • Validation decal - issued according to the registered owner's birth month and renewed for one or two years.
  • Registration certificate - issued showing the owner and vehicle information, the expiration date and the decal number. The certificate should be with the operator whenever the vehicle/trailer is on the road.

Biennial Registration - If renewing biennially, registration fees are doubled. Note: if the vehicle/trailer is sold - refunds are not permitted. If the biennial registration is still valid, a credit may be allowed if purchasing another license plate. A license plate with a biennial registration may also be transferred to another vehicle owned by the same person.

The following are not eligible for a biennial registration: automobile dealer, government, National Guard, out-of-state military, restricted license plates, semi-trailer, transporter license plates, trucks with a net weight greater than 7,999 pounds.

Registration Expiration Dates:

  • Owned by individual - midnight on the owner's birthday
  • Owned by company - midnight on June 30
  • Heavy trucks - (empty weight over 5,000 pounds) midnight on May 31 (if paid semi-annually) and/or December 31 (if paid annually or paid for the second half of the semi-annual payment)
  • Owned by company, leased - the last day of the designated month

Ownership or Name Change - To add or remove someone from a title and registration, please contact our office for specific details and any fees that may apply.

Lost License Plate, Decal, Registration or Title:

Stolen Plate or Decal - If a license plate or decal has been stolen, you should report this to law enforcement immediately. To obtain a replacement, visit a Tax Collector location. There is no replacement fee with a copy of the police report.